- Hits: 175248
Sikinos is one of the most prettiest cycladian islands in greece which has retained through the times its peacefulness, authenticity and tradition in contrast with more popular island destinations. It’s an ideal place for those who are searching for serenity!
Residents of Sikinos engaged in farming and fishing and less on agriculture and tourism, which is still in its initial stage. The locals are ordinary people, warm and welcoming. Watch and love visitors and do their best to provide a comfortable stay.
- Old mansions: one of the best samples of typical traditional cycladic architecture.
- Church of pantanassa: at the center of the town, hora, impresses visitors with its gleaming white colour and the simplicity of its decoration. Inside there are beautiful icons from the after byzantine period.
- Monastery of zoodohos pigi: stands west of hora and it is an imposing castle – style edifice built at the edge of a cliff with an astonishing view. The locals rightfully call it “kastro” (castle) since it is surrounded by a strong fortification wall with embrasures. The islanders take refuge in its inside from the pirate raids.
- Mavri spilia (black cave): northern of sikinos there is one of the biggest caves of the island where visitors can admire its stalagmites.
There are daily connections between sikinos and piraeus by ship (an 8 – hour trip).
The island also has connections with all the other islands in the cyclades by ship, particularly by high speed, reducing the duration of the trip approximately in 4 hours.
- Code for sikinos 22860
- Rural clinic 51211
- Police 51222
- Community office 51238
- Piraeus port authority 210 4226000-5
- Sikinos port authority 22860 51121
- Shipping agency of sikinos 22860 51168
The road network on the island covers about 18km. There is bus that meet visitors’ needs by making frequent runs between the port, chora and episkopi. The beaches can be approached by bus (to agios giorgis and dialiskari) and also by tourists boats (to malta, agios giannis, santorneika, kara, agios panteleimonas). Also, weather permitting, boats will sail around the island.